Wednesday 12 July 2017

Come get your cat spayed in Dagenham!

As some of you know, for the last two years I have been a proud member of MMTG (Maltby Musical Theatre Group) and have thoroughly enjoyed performing as Hugh in 'Acorn Antiques' and last year I got to play my absolute dream roll as Sir Robin in 'Spamalot.' It has been an absolute blast and I cannot believe I left it so late on to get into this. It's not an understatement when I say that it has changed my life.

In years gone by, I was the front man of a band called 'Silver Head', playing both covers and originals. Due to changes in our home life's, however, we had to call it a day a few years ago, and I've missed performing since then. So being back on stage, albeit in a different way, is fantastic.

This year, the show we will be performing 'Made in Dagenham.' The show won't be on until next March, and proper rehearsals don't start until September, so currently we're working through audition pieces, with auditions themselves being next week. I'm going for the roll of Eddie this year, which is the lead male roll. After last year as Sir Robin, I feel like I should push myself to do more and improve both my singing and acting. While I had plenty to do last year, this year the acting is a little (ok, a lot) less silly, and so I think it'll be harder to do right.

I've got one song to learn, as well as a few lines of dialogue to perform as part of my audition. I'm a little bit nervous as there is a decent amount of competition for the part, though not quite to the extent that the women have to put up with. The song I'll be singing is called 'The Letter' (look it up on YouTube if you're interested) and is a fun song to sing, starting off soft but working its way up until eventually its pure frustration. There is so much emotion to convey, and I'm determined to get that across in the audition. I've got breathing and vocal excercises to be cracking on with too to make sure I can reach all the notes (only a couple I'm finding difficult) and I'm really working hard at this one.

Hopefully next week goes ok, I'll obviously post when I find out. Until then, you'll have to wait with baited breath to find out how it goes/went.

As ever, thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment